Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 5

Blogged by Ben: 

Today was one of the few days we got to sleep in.  I still got up early though because I was hungry.  I fixed that problem by having a delicious breakfast at the hotel restaurant.  I got something called "The Mountain Man".  It filled me up and I was ready to officially start the day.  We ventured onto the bus and thought this would be a breeze of a drive.  Our itinerary said it was only 82 miles from Cody to Yellowstone National Park but as it turned out Yellowstone is a VERY INCREDIBLY LARGE park and we drove and we drove and we drove and we drove AND we drove.  Meanwhile, I did quite a bit of sleeping (so did mom) while my dad was soaking it all in.  Did you ever wonder how Yellowstone got it's name?  Well....much of the stone in the Yellowstone Canyon just happens to be yellow.  We also got to see some hot springs, bubbling geyser basins, fumaroles & mud pots.  We saw a lot of the fire damage that had been done to the forest areas in 1988. We also saw the following wildlife:  moose, bison, elk, ducks, pelicans and Canadian geese.  We tried really hard to spot a bear but it didn't happen. Below you will find some pictures of today's sites, as well as, some fun facts about Yellowstone.

However, the highlight of my day (being the 15 year old teenager I am) was getting to shoot an AK-47 at an indoor shooting range. All of my shots were "dead-on."  Oh yeah...second highlight was finally getting to drink some SWEET TEA!!!!  You don't know how hard that is to find in this part of the country. 

Tomorrow we are going back into the park to see Old Faithful and heading on to the Grand Teton National Park. 

































These comments are made by Stacey: 
Out of all the beautiful scenery we saw today.  This was Benjamin's highlight?!?!  Guess he is a teenager and can only appreciate so much of nature.








Facts about Yellowstone

No comments:

Post a Comment